New York Press Conference on Child Victims Act 8/14/19
PRESS CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT
PRESS CONFERENCE TO BE HELD CONTACT: Eva Herman
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 14, 2019 (1:00 PM) (305) 778-3388
FIRST OF HUNDREDS OF LAWSUITS FILED AGAINST NEW YORK INSTITUTIONS ON BEHALF OF VICTIMS OF CHILD SEX ABUSE
Filings Coincide With the Opening of the One-Year Window Under the Child Victims Act; Archdiocese of New York, Rockefeller Univ. Named in First Suits
New York, NY — Nationally recognized sex abuse victim’s attorney Jeff Herman will hold a press conference on Wednesday, August 14, 2019 announcing and discussing the filing of five lawsuits against defendants including THE ARCHDIOCESE OF NEW YORK and ROCKEFELLER UNIVERSITY. Herman has exclusively represented over 1000 victims of sexual abuse for over 20 years. The press conference and the filing of the suits coincides with the opening of the one-year window for filing claims under the New York Child Victims Act. Herman will discuss the five cases being filed Wednesday along with the impact of this legislation on future claims that will be filed by other child victims. Herman will be available to answer questions from media outlets.
Please see below for a short summary of each case that will be discussed on Wednesday at the press conference:
- We represent B.F. in his claim against the Archdiocese of New York and Immaculate Conception Church in Tuckahoe, NY for sexual assaults by Father Gennaro L. “Jerry” Gentile. Father Jerry was a priest at Immaculate Conception. B.F. was a parishioner and altar boy at Immaculate Conception. The sexual assaults occurred when B.F. was approximately 13 years old in 8th grade, in approximately 1982-83.
- We represent R.G. in his claim against the Archdiocese of New York and Sacred Heart Church and School in Newburgh, NY, for sexual assault by Deacon Arthur Manzione. Deacon Manzione was the Principal of Sacred Heart School in the early 1980’s. B.F. at that time was an altar boy and student at Sacred Heart.
- We represent R.S. in his claim against the Archdiocese of New York and Our Lady of Sorrows Church in Manhattan for sexual assaults by Father Edwin Modicowitz. Father Modicowitz pulled R.S. out of catechism class and sexually assaulted him on multiple occasions when R.S. was 10 or 11 years old in about 1957.
- We represent R.L. in his claim against the Archdiocese of New York and Our Lady of Refuge Church in the Bronx for sexual assault by Father Lazar Sheldija. Father Sheldija was a priest at Our Lady of Refuge and active in the Albanian Catholic community. When R.L. was about 12 years old in approximately 1980 he was invited by Father Sheldija to his house for tutoring in the Albanian language. There, he sexually assaulted R.L.
- We represent W.F.L. in his claim against Rockefeller University for sexual assault by a pediatric specialist employed by Rockefeller U., Dr. Reginald Archibald. In approximately 1963, W.F.L.’s parents sent him to Dr. Archibald to treat inadequate weight and appetite at age 5. Dr. Archibald treated W.F.L. for approximately 5 years, during which time he sexually assaulted W.F.L. in his office visits.
These suits would not have been possible without the New York Legislature’s passing of the Child Victims Act earlier this year. As a result of the Child Victims Act’s one-year window, victims must swiftly assess and prepare any potential claims they may have against the entities responsible for their abuse. Herman Law represents hundreds of victims of childhood sexual abuse in New York, many of whom have been victims of the widespread problem of sex abuse within the Catholic Church.
In anticipation of the opening of the filing window, Herman Law has constructed itsown “Predator Priest Index” (PPI), which lists over 500 accused priests in New York State compiled through the firm’s own investigations and outside sources. Herman Law will begin filing claims against the church, along with the claims of child victims seeking justice against non-church entities responsible for enabling abusers, in the proper New York courts beginning Wednesday.
Over the course of his career, Jeff has appeared in national and international media hundreds of times. Jeff’s work has been featured on CNN, Fox News, and in pages of the New York Times. In recent years, Jeff has been a regular television guest to offer commentary and insight on various sexual abuse topics, including protecting children and healing from abuse.
The press conference will be held Wednesday, August 14th at 1:00 PM on the steps of the New York County Supreme Court (60 Centre St., New York, NY 10007).
Herman Law is a law firm for victims of sexual abuse across the nation. The firm is led by its founder Jeff Herman, who is recognized as one of the country’s leading attorneys for child victims of sexual abuse. The firm has obtained over $200 million in verdicts and settlements. Jeff has developed a national reputation for his powerful advocacy and unwavering dedication to his clients. Herman Law is committed to empowering victims of sexual abuse to take back their lives and begin the healing process.